Try out the new HockeySDK for UWP Apps
The HockeyApp team has great news for those of you who are developing UWP apps: we have been working hard on the HockeySDK for UWP apps on Windows 10 and invite you to try out the pre-release version of the SDK. The team is actively developing the SDK and we value your feedback in our support system.
Why use the new HockeySDK
- User Metrics: Understand user behavior to improve your app and track usage: daily active users, monthly active users, new users, and sessions.
- Live Crash Reports: Get crash reports from your .NET Native app. For now, HockeyApp only supports unsymbolicated crash reports, but our goal is to provide fully symbolicated crash reports soon.
How to get started
- Go to HockeyApp and register or sign in to get started. The UWP SDK is currently available for Preseason users, so make sure to apply for Preseason from your account settings.
- In the dashboard, manually create a new app for the Windows platform; fill in the form with the namespace of the app you’re planning to integrate the HockeySDK with.
- Once you are part of Preseason, integrate the HockeySDK for UWP in your app, as explained below.
How to integrate the SDK in your UWP app
If your app has been previously integrated with other HockeySDKs, make sure to uninstall them. Then, follow the three easy steps below:
- Add HockeySDK.UWP nuget package:
Install-Package HockeySDK.UWP -Pre
- In the App class constructor add the following line, using the App ID from the overview page of your app on the HockeyApp web app:
- Make sure
Internet(Client) capability is enabled in the package manifest
Everything is now set up and ready to use.
How to use the SDK
To distribute your build, upload it as an .appx file for mobile devices and as a .msi file for desktop devices. You can easily drag and drop it in into either the HockeyApp web app or our native HockeyApp for Windows app to upload it. Invite testers to try out your app or distribute the download link.
User Metrics come out of the box with the new HockeySDK for UWP. To see User Metrics on HockeyApp, make sure your app has at least one released version. You can either create a version manually from the web app, or a new version will be created when a build is uploaded or when a crash occurs in your app (provided you integrated the HockeySDK).
All crash reports are automatically being sent to HockeyApp from your app. Go to the web portal and see the live crashes for your app versions.
The HockeyApp team is working hard to get crash report symbolication and in-app feedback into your apps. If you have any questions, feedback, or suggestions, please send us a message using our support system.